Lynette Wehner, Teaching in Islamic Schools Makes Her finding the Light of Islam

Written By jieenk on Thursday, June 30, 2011 | 2:02 PM

Lynette Wehner acknowledges inner struggle occurred when he first got the assignment to teach at an Islamic school. Wehner was born of American families who embrace Catholic Christianity. Second-in-law reminded that Wehner is not affected by the teachings of Islam even though he is only a part-time lecturer at the Islamic school.

"The important thing is, you do not convert to Islam," says father-in-law.

For two days Wehner anxious to make a decision whether he will accept the assignment, let alone the school wearing a headscarf while teaching requires it. Hijab is something very foreign to him. But eventually he accepted a job teaching at Islamic schools with the consideration that the experience taught him the first of these will be the springboard for her future.

The first day of teaching, a staff at the school helped him wearing the Islamic headscarf in the staffroom. "We laughed as he tried various styles of hijab," Wehner said the claim that morning feeling very relaxed in Muslim environments. During this time, Wehner always holds that Muslims are not friendly and always serious. First day at school turned to question Islam makes Wehner, why someone could be so easy to create stereotypes of others without knowing more people are concerned.

"I learned many things on the first day of teaching. I was impressed with the attitude of the students, their knowledge of my religion (Christianity) is better than the knowledge I have and I wondered, where did they know it all," said Wehner.

"My students always ask about my religion and it makes me think 'what I believe?" Continued Wehner.

Since childhood, Wehner educated with Catholic doctrine, but as an adult he left his religion's teachings. Wehner admitted feeling uncomfortable with the teachings of the Catholic and felt something was wrong. He then turned to other Christian denominations are more modern, but the flow was also not satisfactory heart.

"All I know, I just want to connect with God. I do not want my religion to be something that just makes me feel that I should 'be good' in front of relatives. I want to feel that religion in my heart. When it is, I lost its way but I did not realize it, "said Wehner.

In the Islamic school where she taught, Wehner interact much with his students who are age children. Children that deliver Wehner into the light of Islam. His name of children, they often leave their textbooks at school. Secretly, Wehner often read books containing the teachings of Islam, who abandoned his disciples were after school. At that Wehner began to feel that what he was reading contained many truths.

Furthermore, Wehner so often asked about Islam with a female teacher and a male teacher at the school. It can even spend hours and hours discussing and satisfy her curiosity about Islam. "Our conversations are very intelligent and encouraged my curiosity. I felt I had found what I had been looking for. Suddenly, there is a sense of peace is spreading in my day ..." Wehner said.

At home, Wehner started reading the translation of the Quran. Wehner's husband (at that time he has not yet divorced) did not like seeing his interest in Islam, so that Wehner had to find a hidden place if you want to read the Koran. Initially, Wehner was afraid of making the betrayal of his religion and hesitant to believe that there are other holy books, besides the Bible that God revealed.

"But I try to listen to what my conscience telling me I'm reading the Quran. When I read it, I felt some parts of the Koran was written specifically for me. Sometimes I read it and cried. But after that, I felt calm, even though still confused. It seems there is still something holding me to accept it wholeheartedly, "said Wehner.

It took many months longer for Wehner to convince her. He continued to read, asked many people and do soul searching, until there was a moment that became determine his decision to become a Muslim.

"I tried to pray in the room my son. My hands were holding a prayer book on the procedure. I was standing with inner conflict within me. I'm not used to pray directly to God. Throughout my life I was taught to pray to Jesus. Jesus who will convey my prayers to God. I am afraid of making a wrong action. I do not want Jesus was angry. I feel there are big waves that hit me, "said Wehner expressed concern at the time.

But Wehner then think more deeply, how could God was angry with his servant who wants to get closer to Him. How could Jesus be angry at people who want to be close to God. Is not that what Jesus wanted? That day, Wehner believes that God is speaking to him in a strong voice, which echoed in the hearts and minds, that there is nothing to fear if he did he want to switch to Islam.

"When I started to cry and cry. The voice is what I want to hear. And from that day I believe that I have embraced Islam. The decision is correct and nothing is undisputed," Wehner said.

Wehner said two sentences shahada in front of all students of Islamic schools where he teaches. "I became a new person. All my doubts and questions are where and what I really believe, vanished. I believe have made the right decision. I have never been so close to God, until I became a Muslim. Alhamdulillah, I am very lucky, "Wehner said closing his story became a convert to Islam.

1 comments:

Sheila Smart said...

Please contact me in relation to the unlicensed use of this image of a young Muslim mother and her child.

Sheila Smart